Pages

Find Us On Facebook

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Print and the Internet - Best Friends Forever


When I first started SS (Select-Start) I wrote a story about a possible death of magazines due to the Internet. I believed at the time that maybe magazines would become less popular due to the accessibility and cost-free perk of Internet sites. And then something happened.

As I looked on my kitchen table for Monday's mail I saw it, my very first subscription copy of Electronic Gaming Monthly and for the first time in a long time I felt euphoria. And that feeling reassured me that magazines were here to stay. And I'll explain.

I have bought many magazine before, but this was my first subscription and I had been waiting weeks to see if I would actually receive it. And once I saw that new, shiny mag on the table I couldn't think of anything else but flipping through it. I realized right then that there was no better feeling then just thumbing through pages of a magazine and being able to take in all the design that not many websites can provide.

I read lots of my daily news online, but not many of the sites have the design aspect that pulls me in like magazines do and that just reinforced my dream to aim to have a career in both a publication print and online aspects. Hopefully.

I think people will still want to have that ownership feeling of a magazine or newspaper and I think that that feeling will make sure that print publication stays around. Print publication don't have to end, but instead just get with the times.

Adding online content isn't about giving up to the times, but instead just rolling with the punches and adapting to the world. Think about it, Darwin would be proud.

-R

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Man Behind This Blog